Tuesday 17 September 2013

Cause This Is Thriller






Yesterday I started classes for the first semester. The first and only class I have on a Monday is contemporary and contextual studios. This is a core element in the course as this particular class aims to develop an awareness and understanding of all areas of contemporary fashion culture and its context. I'm already feeling inspired with new and original ideas. I hope to visit the Dressed to Kill exhibition in Edinburgh city over the next few days. Dressed to Kill showcases how Scottish artists have captured fashion, costume, and dress over the years so I'm extremely excited to check it out. 
Yesterday I too gave in my first college project. The brief was to design my own magazine spread with a self head-shot based on the i-D fashion magazine. Above is a picture of part of the project. 

Today I had the huge privilege of not only being in the same room as Deborah Nadoolman Landis but to also hear her talk about her ideas and work in the film costume design industry. Amazingly I got to sit front row as she talked to the hall about her "Real People" exhibition. Deborah has spent 30 years in the film industry and was nominated for an academy award so you can only imagine how happy I was when I heard she would be visiting the university. She has created iconic costumes throughout her career, such as the jacket of Indiana Jones, Michael Jackson's red jacket in Thriller. Deborah also created the costumes for films such as "The Blues Brothers" , "Burke and Hare", "Mad City", "The Blues Brothers 2000", "Coming To America" and so on! She was such a wonderful lady and kept the whole hall laughing. It truly was an inspiring experience. Maybe one day I'll cross paths with Deborah again....fingers crossed!

I hope everyone is enjoying their week as much as I am <3

Els x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...